Make writing a “habit of the mind”
- Write the FIRST 20 minutes of each day.
- Before you open your email, write.
- Block out the time on your calendar.
- Make it known that you do not want to be disturbed.
- Content over form! Just draft.
- At minute 20, identify your next day’s goal.
- Make it a routine, but make it more about the destination
Keep it going!
- Find a critical friend to keep you honest.
- Start a writing support group
- Use social coercion
- Make shared deadlines
- Keep drafts in a shared space, like Dropbox
- Make giving feedback necessary part of group membership
Pick your destination early!
- Identify potential outlet
- Find the “submission guidelines”
- Start reading current articles in your outlet of interest
- Find collaborators
- Set deadlines